Designers use different materials for finishing bathrooms. The most popular solution is tile. Today we will talk about the design of bathroom tiles, list the rules for its use, and show non-standard design projects.
Advantages and disadvantages of bathroom tiles
Benefits of using tiles:
- Long service life. If no mistakes were made during the decoration of the walls and floor of the room and the tiles are properly maintained during operation, then this finishing material will last for a long time. When grinding the cut edges of ceramic tiles, do not forget about the moisture resistance of the selected materials. The components included in the mixtures for grinding must withstand conditions of high humidity.
- Practicality in use. The ceramic material is easy to clean and resistant to any antiseptic cleaning agents.
- A wide range of products for every taste. A variety of colors, shapes and sizes of tiles allow you to realize any projects.
Disadvantages of finishing material:
- Difficult installation technology – surface finishing requires knowledge and skills. Not everyone will be able to properly install the tile on their own. Because of this, there is a need to find an experienced specialist whose services are not cheap. The long service life of the finishing material compensates for the money spent on work.
- The high cost of tiles compared to plastic panels or floor and wall paint.
- The appearance of joints between tiles loses accuracy and beauty over time. The joints between the tiles are treated with a special moisture-resistant material that darkens a few years after installation or becomes covered with fungus in the absence of the necessary surface care.
If cleaning is carried out in a timely manner, the tiles and joints will retain their original appearance for a long time.
Types of tiles
To arrange the space in the bathroom, the following types of tiles are used:
- From ceramics. Such material is called a tile. Ceramic tiles are considered the most common option for finishing materials. A wide range of tiles and relatively low cost is the advantage of ceramic tiles.
- From mosaic elements. As practice shows, the mosaic harmonizes well with ceramic tiles. Bathrooms in which these types of finishes are combined look unusual. When choosing tiles and mosaics in the same color, you can visually expand the room and make the necessary accents on unusual interior details. Contrasting colors will help draw attention to certain areas in the bathroom. One of the advantages of mosaics is the ability to use this material for cladding bathroom accessories: a beautiful edging of a mirror, an unusual sink or a custom-shaped bathroom.
- From porcelain stoneware. This material has good wear resistance, so that the finish will retain its original appearance for a long time. Porcelain stoneware will guarantee that no electric charge will pass through it if a washing machine is installed.
- From glass. Tiles will help emphasize the elegance of the interior and create a unique image of the room. When choosing glass tiles, it is important to remember that this material will refresh the room and fill it with coolness. Warm shades of glass tiles will make the room harmonious.
- From natural stone. Granite, marble and basalt are used to finish the bathroom. The use of natural stone for decoration is not always possible due to the too high cost of the material. Designers offer to finish the walls and floors of bathrooms with artificial stone, which in appearance is very similar to natural.
Rules for using tiles
The order of distribution of finishing material on vertical and horizontal surfaces may vary depending on the result that the owner of the room wants to get. Designers distinguish several options:
- classic layout – the tiles are laid out exactly horizontally, butt-to-butt to each other;
- with an offset – the tiles are laid out in even and odd rows, which are offset relative to each other, this placement of the material allows you to imitate brickwork;
- rhombus – square tiles are turned 90º, the seams are diagonal;
- at an angle – the angle of laying the finishing material varies depending on the wishes of the client.
Small bathroom preferences
When decorating the interior of rooms with a small area, it is necessary to use design subtleties that will help make the bathroom more spacious.
Finishing in light colors visually enlarges the bathroom, gives the interior sophistication and beauty.
It is important to consider that the use of snow-white tiles for cladding the walls and floor of the room is undesirable. The interior of the room will evoke associations with a medical institution. Elegant white tiles are best combined in small bathrooms with other colors:
- pearl grey.
Proper selection of dark tones will add mystery and depth to the interior. Dark colors do not always negatively affect the perception of rooms with a small area.
Large mirrors and mirror surfaces that are used for decoration visually expand the space.
When designing a spacious bathroom, any colors that the client likes are used.
If you want to focus on a large area of \u200b\u200bthe room, you should choose pastel colors and delicate shades.
If you want the interior of the room to have privacy, be perceived as expensive and elegant, then you should consider colors such as dark chocolate and mysterious indigo.
In interior design
Tiles are used to decorate the interior of the bathroom in any style. A huge variety of colors, shapes, sizes, textures of the material make it possible to realize the most daring dreams. Consider the interesting interiors of tiled bathrooms in a modern style.
Art Nouveau style involves the use of bright colors and unusual contrasts in the interior of the room. Suitable for both small and spacious rooms. Such an interior can be budget and very expensive.
For the Provence-style bathroom interior, discreet pastel colors of ceramic tiles are used. This range will set the owners of the bathroom in a romantic way. Sky blue, lavender and soft pink are best suited. For wall decoration, tiles with small floral ornaments are chosen.
Designers choose the loft style for decorating spacious rooms. For them, ceramic or natural stone tiles in beige and sand colors are used. Brick color and shades of chocolate are mandatory for use in the interior. Dark brown and terracotta can be the walls and floor of the room, or individual accessories.
The classic style of bathroom interior will always be popular. For its decoration, marble tiles are used. Finishing materials for a classic interior are of high quality and expensive. A good color scheme is considered to be the choice of calm, soothing shades that will go well with furniture made of expensive woods.
All shades of gray are used to design an art deco bathroom. Wall cladding with graphite gray tiles will be beautifully combined with a black floor. A large floral ornament on the tile will emphasize the elegance of the room. The tile with an unusual pattern on the floor looks very impressive.
The interior in the patchwork style involves alternating small tiles with each other. These can be tiles of the same color with or without a printed pattern. Walls lined with small tiles of different colors look spectacular, which go well with each other.
At first glance, high-tech style may seem impractical for a bathroom. The main principle of wall design in such an interior is the use of glossy surfaces of facing materials. Laying tiles at different angles, using material of different shapes – all this is a characteristic of the style.
A baroque bathroom can be the highlight of the whole house. Tiles for such a room are selected in discreet pastel colors. Lay tiles in the classic version. Exquisite accessories will add luxury to the interior.
The interior in oriental style is characterized by peace and tranquility. Natural stone is used to decorate walls and floors. The tile is chosen in beige and brown tones. Simplicity and minimalism are the main features of the interior solution.
Recently gained popularity, the Scandinavian trend in the interior involves the use of harmonious shades of light colors. Ceramic tiles with small ornaments go well with wooden elements.
5 original ideas
And so, let’s see what can be applied in the interior to make it interesting and unique.
- Connect different types of tiles together. The interior of the bathroom, for the design of which a combination of different finishing materials is used, always looks fresh and original.
2. Use photo tiles to accent the room.
3. Make special ceramic tile borders that separate materials of different colors from each other.
4. Decorate the walls with a plain canvas. This option will be effectively perceived if tiles of various shapes and sizes were used for its design.
5. Make niches with backlight.
Photo in the interior
Examples of tastefully tiled bathrooms.