Today we will talk about glass. You will learn what types there are, how to use them correctly, about the pros and cons of this decorative coating. And you will also see a photo selection in the interior of different rooms.
What is glass fiber?
Glass fiber is a decorative wall covering, which is made of special glass.
- A special material is heated to the highest temperature, and while the glass is still warm, its fibers are drawn to make yarn.
- Drawn yarn can be of different types and have their own thickness.
- The resulting material will then be used to create fabric. The front side of fiberglass wallpaper is indistinguishable from decorative weaving, which is performed using different techniques.
Glass fiber is perfect for pasting any surfaces, such as: concrete, plastic, metal, wood, drywall, brick and chipboard. Before applying the wallpaper, you should close up the cracks and cover the wall with a primer. Thanks to glass fibers, the life of the wallpaper is at least 15 years, and if properly cared for – 30 years. If you get tired of the color of the canvas, you can always change it with paint without harming the appearance.
Most often, these wallpapers are used for painting.
Fiberglass is made only from natural materials that do not emit harmful substances.
The composition of such wallpapers includes the following components:
- quartz sand,
At the initial stage, all components must be placed in briquettes, which, when heated, will melt and stretch into threads of the required thickness. In order to weave a fabric from the threads, special equipment is needed. The final step is to cover the wallpaper with a special solution, which consists of modified starch.
Advantages and disadvantages
The advantages of this finishing coating include:
To the disadvantages:
Based on various criteria, glass fiber can be divided into several types.
Smooth texture is an ideal surface for painting. In this case, the wallpaper is a kind of cobweb that will smooth out all the existing cracks and bumps on the wall. Such a surface is multifunctional.
The relief texture is a porous heavy structure with a high density. Wallpapers with this texture are designed for finishing walls, and they do not deform or stretch.
Popular drawings that can be found:
According to the quality of glass fiber can be divided into three grades:
- the first;
- Economy class.
The coating of the first grade has high quality and long service life. The density of the wallpaper is about 120 g/sq.m. Accordingly, the cost of such a decorative coating will be high.
Wallpaper of the second grade can behave unpredictably in everyday life. The average quality of the coating will be noticeable only in a non-standard length of the canvas. Some foreign manufacturers of second-class glass wallpaper produce canvases of fairly high quality.
The wallpaper of the last, economy class, does not differ in good quality, long service life, density. However, due to its low price, such coverage is very popular.
Number of layers
Fiberglass coating according to the number of layers can be divided into:
- single layer;
- decorative layer and backing.
White is most often used for painting.
Color options are used for self-cladding. There are a large number of colors on the market today.
Popular brands of glass
Today, the following brands are very popular:
- Vitrulan. Quality German wallpapers that offer a large selection of different collections.
- Welton. Natural wallpaper with designer line. Produced by Alaksar group of companies. Production: Germany, Sweden, Finland.
- nortex. They are classic options with matting, herringbone, rhombus, etc. They are produced in Russia, part of the technological process is concentrated in China.
- Tassoglass. An American brand that has received great recognition due to its large range of textures.
- X glass. Russian wallpaper with Finnish production. Middle price segment.
- bau master. China. Differ in reasonable price and good quality.
Chinese-made wallpapers that have proven themselves in the Russian market as budget and good decorative coatings.
Step-by-step instructions for gluing glass wallpaper
For pasting walls with cullet, you need to follow the sequence of the main steps:
In all the nuances of how to properly glue glass wallpaper for painting on walls in the form of matting, this video will tell.
What glue is used?
Special glue for glass wall paper consists of starch and additives that improve moisture resistance, and antibacterial substances will not allow mold and fungus to form. For gluing walls with fiberglass wallpaper, glue from the following companies is suitable:
How to paint glass wall paper?
We also recommend that you familiarize yourself with the correct technology for painting glass wallpaper without streaks, in the instructions from the stone guys.
Photo selection: glass wallpaper in the interior
Due to its practicality, this type of wallpaper is used for any room. Below we have selected the best options that can be applied in the bathroom, kitchen, bedroom, living room.
Also, to create a successful and stylish interior, get your ideas here –