Choosing tiles for the bathroom and toilet is not difficult if you understand the features of the products and know what aspects you should pay attention to. In this case, not only the aesthetic component is important, but also the quality of the ceramics, since the finish is usually designed to last for many years. And in order to choose the best option for a specific room, the easiest way is to use the advice of designers. This will help hide the imperfections of the bathroom or bathroom and create an attractive environment.
Varieties of tiles suitable for the bathroom and toilet
Usually, when facing walls and floors in rooms with high humidity, several types of products are used:
- Ceramics. It is used most often and is made of clay, while the surface can be both perfectly smooth and textured. The material is not afraid of moisture and serves for decades. The only negative is that with a strong point impact or a heavy object falling on the floor, the tile can crack. It is worth noting a huge selection, so it is easy to choose the perfect color for any interior.
- Glass elements do not differ from standard ones, but they have an original look and can be both transparent and colored, and the surface is made smooth or textured. You can place decor in the form of sparkles or other elements under the tiles, which will add originality to the setting. Glass is scratch resistant and doesn’t absorb water, but it’s expensive.
- Porcelain stoneware is highly durable and has a service life of 50 years or more. It is made from clay with composite additives, which gives the products high performance characteristics. Ideal for flooring as abrasion resistance is the highest. Also, the surface withstands the effects of acids and other aggressive substances. The only negative can be called a rather large thickness and significant weight due to the high density.
- Rectified tiles can be either ceramic or composite. Its main feature is the processing of the ends, which allows you to get perfectly smooth edges. Due to this, it is possible to veneer the surface with minimal joints, and the adjustment of the elements is not required. This processing method is being introduced by more and more manufacturers. It is predicted that this option will be the most popular in the market.
You should also disassemble the main varieties of ceramics. For a bathroom and a bathroom, one of three options is almost always used:
- Earthenware products made of white clay, which provides high reliability even with a small thickness. This raw material is considered the best. The technology involves pressing blanks and subsequent double firing, and refractory components are added to the composition to increase reliability. The price of such ceramics is very high. Usually it is used for wall decoration.
- Majolica is made from red clay. Often, hand painting is applied on top of the glaze layer. Such solutions are expensive and not suitable for use directly next to a bathtub or sink, as the pattern may wash off over time.
- Gres. The raw material can be both white and red clay. The main feature is pressing at high pressure and further firing, which ensures a high density and strength of the surface even without applying glaze. But at the same time, the weight of the cladding is an order of magnitude greater than that of analogues.
By the way!
When choosing, give preference to well-known manufacturers.
What tiles to choose for the bathroom
It is important to know the following:
- Appointment. If there is a foot symbol, then the tile is suitable for the floor. When a hand is depicted, it can only be used for wall cladding. Usually the collection includes options for different surfaces.
- Tile thickness. It may be different, but the larger it is, the stronger the product.
- The coefficient of friction (symbol of the foot tilted to the surface) shows how safe it is when walking on wet tiles. This factor is important for floor coverings.
- Abrasion resistance is indicated by the letters PEI and numbers from 1 to 5. Options with a value of 1, 2 and 3 are suitable for walls. 4 and 5 are for industrial use. For the home they are not used because of the high price.
- Also on the packaging mark resistance to aggressive chemical influences. For marking use Latin letters from A (minimum resistance) to D (maximum performance).
On drywall walls, it is better to select not very heavy tiles so as not to create too much load on the surface.
The main factors you need to consider are the size and shape of the bathroom, the height of the ceilings, and the availability of natural light. Remember the following:
- For a small bathtub or bathroom, avoid using dark ceramic colors as this will further reduce the space. Light colors work best.
- You should be careful with matte products – they are not very well suited for walls in small rooms. But at the same time, textured tiles on the floor are most preferable.
- White color should also not be used, as it shows dirt and plaque best, and the room looks like a hospital. But if you enliven the atmosphere with contrasting inserts or use elements with patterns, then the appearance of the bathroom will change.
- To visually enlarge the space, you can lay elements of contrasting tones diagonally. For visual expansion, use horizontal stripes, and for rooms with low ceilings, vertical layout options are more suitable.
- If you veneer one of the walls with decorative tiles with patterns or ornaments, and finish the rest with plain ceramics, the bathroom will become more comfortable and visually enlarge. The main thing is to choose the optimal combination of shades.
- Try to purchase tiles from the same collection. Then you do not have to worry about whether different solutions will be combined with each other.
- If you use a large number of dark tiles with a glossy surface, the interior will turn out to be stylish and sophisticated. Bright elements will make the bathroom modern and original. Neutral and pastel colors are versatile, allowing you to visually expand the space and make it cozy.
By the way!
When buying tiles, be sure to check if all the boxes are from the same batch. The fact is that products produced on different days or shifts may have slight differences in shade.
In shape and size
Ceramics are divided into 4 groups:
- Mosaic. Usually it has a square shape, the size of the side varies from 1 to 5 cm. An original solution that will cost a lot.
- A small square tile has a side up to 10 cm. A rectangular tile can have a long side up to 15 cm.
- Medium options are usually no more than 30 cm with a square shape and 40 cm with a rectangular one.
- Large tiles include all tiles that are larger than the above parameters. Usually these are options from 40×40 cm and more.
As for the shape, the most common are square and rectangle. Rectangular tiles can have different aspect ratios: from 1:1.5 or more.
You can also find other options – a hexagon, a polygon, irregularly shaped elements that are combined in a strictly defined way and create a pattern on the surface. They usually cost more and are more difficult to install.
By the way!
If you decide to use mosaics in the bathroom, the easiest way is to purchase not the classic version, but modern products, which are segments that are fixed on a flexible fiberglass base. Then laying will take much less time.
By bathroom area
To achieve the best effect and smooth out the imperfections of the bathroom, use a few recommendations:
- Choose the size so that there are at least 3 whole elements on the short side. And it is better if several rows fit on the surface.
- If the space is narrow, use wide elements arranged horizontally. If the ceilings are low, rectangular ceramics should be placed vertically to visually increase the height.
- For spacious rooms, almost any options are suitable. There are no restrictions on size and shape. Color may also vary. The main thing is to decide in advance on the design concept.
- In small bathrooms, it is better to use light colors, while the surfaces should reflect light well. It is important to correctly position the plumbing so that it does not clutter up the space.
Do not choose exotic colors and shapes for a small room. In a limited area, it is better not to experiment.
There are a few simple rules that will allow you to choose the right color and tile design:
- Choose similar textures for wall and floor tiles. For example, if you liked some natural materials (imitation of wood, stone, etc.), they should be present to some extent on all surfaces.
- Remember the universal rule for choosing tiles: dark or medium tone for the floor, light walls and white ceiling. This formula is suitable for all rooms. The main thing at the same time is that the tones of the materials on the floor and walls are combined with each other.
- When choosing decorative inserts, it is best to use products from the same collection. Choose options that have what you need. At the same time, it is very important to correctly compose different types so that their combination looks harmonious.
- If a certain direction is chosen, then the design of the tile is selected for it. Cutting-edge solutions will not look good with classic plumbing. Therefore, you should think over the concept in advance so that you do not have to change the design.
By the way!
Often, manufacturers offer ready-made layouts that can be posted on stands or presented in catalogs. This is a great solution, as you can evaluate the look and see if it suits you.
Which bathroom tile is better – matte or glossy?
To determine which option is better, it is worth analyzing the advantages and disadvantages of each of them:
- Due to the excellent reflection, you can fill the bathroom with light. This variety visually expands the space, which is very important.
- Reflective surfaces look great in luxurious environments and add sophistication to the room. Moreover, you can select varieties with varying degrees of reflection to ensure the desired effect.
- On glossy tiles, dirt is very visible, so you will have to constantly wipe the surface. Over time, limescale becomes harder and harder. Even simple touches leave stains. Gloss is not applied on the floor.
Matte ceramics are more practical from the point of view that no traces remain on the surface, and dirt is much less visible. It is these solutions that are most often used in bathrooms, the main features:
- This tile fits perfectly into modern interiors.
- The water repellency of the surface is very high, which is important in wet areas.
- It is much easier to care for the surface – just wipe it from time to time with a damp sponge.
- By combining with patterned tiles, you can achieve the originality of the interior.
By the way!
In some cases, you can combine glossy and matte elements to highlight the interior features.
Bathroom tile design tips
Now you can easily find a design photo for a bath. This is a great solution, as you will see how this or that combination looks and you can choose the right design. Consider the following:
- Light ceramics are much more practical than dark ones.
- Large elements look more attractive, but keep in mind the proportions – at least 3 tiles per wall. If so much does not fit, choose a smaller option.
- Various borders and decorative elements are a sign of bad taste.
- Imitation of marble or other stone is very relevant. But it is very important that the structure is as natural as possible – you should not buy obvious fakes.
- On the floor, square or rectangular wood-effect tiles are perfect. On the wall, you can also pick up a similar solution, but with a less distinct texture.
- Patchwork tile inserts are well suited to decorate the bathroom. Bright patterns attract attention and make the interior much more dynamic and attractive.
- Use no more than three primary colors in the bathroom. Most often, the lower part is dark, the middle is light, and the top is white.
- Of the glossy options, only the “boar” tile, which imitates brickwork, is relevant.
By the way!
Pay attention to the choice of grout. If the seams need to be highlighted, get a contrasting option, if hidden, then try to find a tone that is as close as possible to the color of the ceramics.
Tiles for the bathroom and bathroom should be not only beautiful, but also practical. Consider the area of the room, its features and be sure to look at examples of finished interiors in order to find a suitable idea and implement it.