An apron in the kitchen is necessary to protect the surface from splashes of water, oil and other adverse effects. This is the part of the wall that is above the work surface, often it is limited by wall cabinets. Since the apron is always in front of your eyes, it should not only fulfill its intended purpose, but also serve as a full-fledged element in the design of the kitchen.
What can be done instead of an apron in the kitchen: inexpensive and beautiful
If you do not want to use ordinary tiles or you need to equip the room for the minimum price, you can apply interesting and modern ideas. But at the same time, regardless of the option chosen, you need to properly prepare the base. It all depends on what material the wall is made of and what condition it is in:
- The concrete surface can simply be leveled if it is damaged. This is done with putty, then the surface must be sanded after drying and a primer applied to strengthen it.
- The drywall mounting option is a universal solution that fits any wall. You can finish it entirely or sheathe only a part, there are no restrictions. The seams between the plates must be glued with reinforcing mesh and puttied.
Use moisture resistant drywall to create a base in the kitchen.
As for design options, you need to select an apron for the kitchen by color – it should be combined with the environment. And if the space is combined with the living room, you can highlight the work area so that it attracts attention. Here are some interesting examples:
- Make an imitation of brick from putty. In this case, apply a layer of any putty with a thickness of at least 5 mm to the surface, special care is not needed, the main thing is to evenly distribute the composition along the wall. Immediately make lines to imitate a brick. Perfect accuracy is not needed, slight negligence looks much better. After 15-20 minutes, when the composition grabs a little, rub it with a trowel or brush to give the surface a texture. Once dry, apply primer and paint.
- Use plywood. If you want to make a work area “under the tree”, pick up plywood with the texture you like. Cut it into strips of the desired width, sand carefully so that it is perfectly smooth. Think over the mounting option: these can be screws, the heads of which are best covered with decorative caps, or you can simply glue the elements onto liquid nails. Apply several layers of high-strength varnish to the surface, you can first tint the plywood with stain.
- Just paint the surface with washable paint. Despite the apparent simplicity, a lot of work will have to be done. First of all, putty the visible part of the wall and sand it to perfect condition. Most often, this step must be repeated several times until an acceptable result is achieved. Then apply 2-3 coats of primer to strengthen the surface. Paint also in several layers, use a roller for work, as stains remain from the brush.
Remember that high temperatures act on the wall next to the gas stove: do not use compounds that change color or crack when heated.
You can also use any decorative plaster you like, you need to apply it as the technology prescribes. In this case, a moisture-resistant coating is required on top of the finish: it will fill the small pores and make it easy to wipe off oil splashes and dirt from the surface.
Economy options for designing an apron in the kitchen: materials
When updating finishes or carrying out repairs, you can use interesting modern ideas that are in demand all over the world. If you don’t know what to choose, explore the options presented in this section. They will cost several times cheaper than tiles, but at the same time they will allow you to highlight the wall and make the kitchen stylish and unusual. Choose your favorite solution and implement it yourself:
- Install perforated panels in the kitchen. They are usually made of plastic or laminated MDF, but metal products can also be found if desired. The sheets are covered with even rows of holes, which are convenient for hanging hooks, cup holders, etc. It is best to mount on two strips above and below, so that there is space behind the panel and incoming moisture evaporates. If you wish, you can paint the elements in any color and then the apron will become a bright accent of the kitchen.
- Make a slate out of an apron. It looks very stylish, allows you to change the design even daily and leave messages to family members. Sanded plywood or a wall perfectly aligned with putty will do. Apply a suitable primer in 2-3 coats to prepare the surface, and then paint the backsplash with special board paint in several coats to make the coating durable and wear-resistant.
- Use MDF panels for finishing. In this case, you need to choose the items you like in the store and purchase as many as you need for the apron, including waste. Fasten with liquid nails or small self-tapping screws if the walls in the house are wooden. Fasteners must be placed in a groove so that it is not visible after completion of work. Close the edges with decorative elements that are always sold with the panels.
Get high-quality slate paint, do not save and do not buy cheap options, otherwise the surface will quickly scratch and lose its attractive appearance.
If you work carefully, the end result will be no worse than with traditional tiles. If you take care of the surface, wipe it in a timely manner so that the dirt does not eat in, the apron will retain an attractive appearance for a long time.
How to arrange a kitchen apron in the country: photo
If you need to arrange a working area in a country or country house, where functionality is important, and appearance does not matter, you can choose good inexpensive solutions. Some of them are also perfect for the home, as the quality of the produced materials is getting higher and even cheap solutions look good:
- PVC panels for wall decoration. You can either glue the panels to the surface with liquid nails, or nail a small piece of timber to the wall and fix the trim to it. The design weighs very little, while it is easy to care for, as grease and dirt can be easily wiped off with a rag.
- Special kitchen panels made of plastic. Now on sale there are products designed specifically for kitchen aprons, imitating brick, tile, mosaic or depicting any composition. They usually have a size convenient for installation and are attached in much the same way as a standard plastic lining. The advantage of this solution is its aesthetic appeal at a very low price, this is an ideal option for giving.
- Laminate. Since the floor panels are durable and wear-resistant, they are also suitable for decorating a kitchen apron. The range is very large, you can find options with wood texture or imitating stone. As for fastening – use liquid nails, they securely fix the panels on the wall, and if necessary, they can be torn off to make repairs. The main thing is to choose products without gaps at the joints.
If the country house is not heated in winter, use plastic panels, as they are not afraid of temperature changes.
To give, choose cheap solutions, even if they become unusable in a year or two, replacement will not require large expenses. You can also adapt improvised materials. For example, varnish a few old boards and make an authentic apron that fits perfectly with the atmosphere of a country house.
Kitchen options without upper cabinets: how to make an apron
A kitchen without hanging cabinets is original, but you will have to decide how to design a work area that is not limited by anything. In this case, remember that the height of the finish under the apron must be at least 60 cm so that splashes do not fall on the wall. Here are some options:
- Decorative plaster is the simplest solution with which you can finish the wall from top to bottom. In this case, it is better to highlight it due to the color shade and texture. Think about how best to do it to get the best effect. At the same time, after applying and drying the plaster, be sure to use a special composition to protect against moisture, so that it is easier to wipe the surface and the fat is not absorbed into it.
- Fragments of tiles, ceramic dishes, glass for creating mosaics are well suited. An interesting, but time-consuming solution that will require a lot of time, but the result is worth it. You can finish both the working area and the entire wall, it all depends on your desire.
- Skinali – glass panels, which are often installed instead of a traditional apron. You can order them in any design – with pictures, photos or inscriptions, there are no restrictions. Tempered glass does not break and can withstand temperature extremes. Mounting is easy – drill holes for fasteners in the right places and fix the skinals with special screws.
You can consider other solutions – from clinker tiles to artificial stone or its imitation from polymer compositions. You can search the Internet for interesting options and choose what you like.
Making an apron in the kitchen in a wooden house: photo
If the house is made of wood, the work area should be designed in accordance with the interior. Some interesting ideas are easy to implement on your own:
- Leave the wall as it is, just treat the space above the work area with a special moisture-repellent composition that will not allow oil to be absorbed and ensure ease of cleaning.
- Cover the surface with clear glass. Use the shatterproof version, think about how to secure it in advance to ensure reliability.
- Fix an imitation of a bar or a block house on the surface. Then the apron will look like a wooden wall and create a unique atmosphere of a log house. Be sure to treat the elements with a protective compound.
Wooden surfaces can be covered with artificial stone slabs, they blend perfectly and are ideal for use in the work area. You can cover only the areas near the stove and sink, there is no special need to protect the rest.
You can decorate a kitchen apron in a modern and inexpensive way, even without using ceramic tiles. Use the recommendations from the review or come up with your own options based on ready-made examples.