Today we will talk about a unique wall covering. We have collected interesting photo ideas for you, which depict liquid wallpaper in the interior of an ordinary apartment.
Such wallpapers form a continuous seamless coating, which distinguishes them from traditional models. At the same time, when moving, you can always remove the material and put it in a new house.
What it is? The decorative coating is produced in the form of a dry mix, which includes a soft fibrous filler, dry glue and various decorative additives. When water is added, the composition softens and becomes pliable. In this state, it is easily applied to walls, ceilings and other surfaces.
Advantages and disadvantages
The coating occupies an intermediate position between roll models and decorative plaster. From here, all the pros and cons emerge.
- The material has proven itself when working with uncomfortable, complex corners, rounded surfaces, as well as in areas with complex terrain.
- Does not require a perfectly aligned plane.
- Can be reused without loss of quality and appearance.
- Easily restored. He is not afraid of scratches, chips and other damage.
- A simple technology that even beginners can handle.
- You can lay out art panels, paintings and bas-reliefs using a rich color palette and different texture mixtures.
- Does not support combustion.
- Serves as a heater and sound insulator.
- Soft surface, pleasant to the touch.
- You can get a variety of colors and textures by mixing mixtures of different brands.
- Before work, the wall must be primed with waterproofing impregnations. As a result, the movement of moisture inside the partition changes. This is acceptable for brick, concrete, etc. However, for clay-lime mortars and wood, this approach will be fraught with peeling of the plaster, soaking of the wall material inside the partition.
In such cases, it is desirable to use dry plaster in the form of GL, OSB, etc. And already apply wallpaper on it.
- The cover cannot be washed. Dry clean only. This limits its comfortable use. Ideal for bedrooms and living rooms. Problematic for the kitchen and wet areas. The problem is solved with a layer of varnish.
The composition of liquid wallpaper is quite simple. As a rule, it includes natural or synthetic fibers and a dry binder. Ingredients can be:
- synthetic fibers;
Various inclusions can be added to this standard list:
- wood flour or sawdust;
- stone chips;
- various textural inclusions;
- sequins, etc.
In terms of their structure, different brands differ from each other. At the same time, pay attention to the texture of the material, as well as how easily they stretch over the surface and smooth out under the grater. The thickness of the layer, material consumption and the appearance of the finished wall depend on this.
What rooms are used?
This material can be used in almost all areas of the apartment, from the children’s room to the bathroom, kitchen and hallway. See design examples for different rooms.
In the bedrooms and living room, compositions with natural fillers are used. By their texture, they are soft, reminiscent of the surface of the carpet. Often the walls of the living room overlook a common corridor or street. In this case, the cold, passing through concrete and brick, sneaks into the room even with good insulation. And who insulates the walls from the side of the landing?
Owners of one-room apartments with a niche for a bed will especially appreciate this finish. Usually the wall to which the bed adjoins is cold, because exits to the stairwell. And opposite is a rather large window, often with a balcony block.
In the original version, the room is rather cold and uncomfortable. However, if you decorate the room with liquid wallpaper, then the walls become warm, it is pleasant to touch them. In addition, cotton creates a soundproof layer that dampens noise coming from the street or from the entrance.
Kitchens and studios
Can walls covered with this material be washed? If you do not plan to frequently re-paste the wallpaper, then it makes sense to cover the surface with a protective varnish. In this case, you lose the opportunity to restore the walls, but avoid greasy stains and drips. This is relevant for families with young children who may spill soup or juice by planting a colorful spot.
Manufacturers claim that liquid wallpaper is not afraid of moisture and can be used in bathrooms and toilets. In this case, you need to take into account the characteristics of the material that you use.
- The technology prescribes to cover the walls with a strong solution of water-repellent impregnation. What for? So that moisture penetrating 10-15 cm deep into the wall does not pull fungus, mold, and rust from reinforcement to the surface. Cotton wool, cellulose and silk, which are part of the mixture, actively absorb all this and are dyed in the appropriate colors. If the material is really not afraid of water, then such protection would not be needed.
- These wallpapers are reusable. To remove them from the wall, it is enough to sprinkle with water, let it soak and scrape off with a spatula. Those. upon contact with water, the material becomes soft, pliable. It can be easily removed from the wall, moved to another place, laid down and allowed to dry. This is how transfer and restoration work.
If you decorate a surface with this mixture in a wet area, then every time you take a bath, the material will soak. It can be accidentally pulled off the wall. Putting it back in place is just as easy. But why such difficulties?
The conclusion suggests itself. If you want to cover the walls in the bathroom with this composition, then protect it from water with varnish. Or use away from wet areas.
In the hallways, you need to consider how neat the residents are, whether there are pets, how the furniture is, etc.
Despite the fact that the material is easily removed and re-glued, it is unlikely that anyone keeps spare packs of liquid wallpaper for 10 years. And the area stained with dog-cat marks with traces of dirty paws will need to be completely replaced.
For this reason, it is desirable to make protection from wooden or plastic panels at the bottom of the walls. If there is no desire to use them, then you can simply open the wallpaper with a good layer of varnish. In this case, they can be easily washed and cleaned.
How to apply liquid wallpaper on the wall?
How and what to apply?
It is most convenient to work with plastic graters. The large ones are handy for covering a large flat area. Small ones are good for working in difficult places.
It is best to start work from the corners and junctions, after which the middle of the wall is filled. When working on a ceiling, it is convenient to start from the center of the surface, drawing a horizontal line from wall to wall. And already from this line stretch the material to the borders of the ceiling.
What if you need to interrupt work until the next day?
If the wall area is large or you need to purchase an additional batch of wallpaper, then the boundaries of the finished work must be covered with an additional layer of working mass. Those. make the edge 2-3 times thicker. Under a thick protective layer, the surface will not have time to dry and retain its properties. You just have to carefully remove the excess thickness of the seam and continue working.
Consumption of liquid wallpaper per square meter
In order to calculate how many packages will be needed, several factors must be taken into account:
- how to store material
- how much water is used to make
- wall quality. Cracks, crevices, faults take a significant amount of material
On average, it is considered that 1 package of wallpaper is enough for 4 square meters. In order to understand how many wallpapers you need, the table below is given:
What are these wallpapers combined with?
Liquid wallpaper goes well with almost any material. They are good when working with artificial and natural stone, wood, decorative plasters, etc.
And also in combination with ordinary wallpaper.
Photo ideas for drawings on the walls with liquid wallpaper
In children’s rooms, living rooms, in the kitchen, thematic art panels are often performed. In this case, the material can be applied in one layer, forming an image due to multi-colored mixtures, or using a multi-layer technique, obtaining a 3D pattern.
The material is good for decorating niches, accent stripes and walls. Using different colors, you can create a gradient effect, fading from one color to another, and so on.
If you doubt your artistic abilities, you can always paint the finished wall through a stencil.
Liquid wallpaper is conveniently applied to the wall, does not require careful alignment, can be reused, is easily restored and at the same time is pleasant to the touch, saves heat and is beautiful to look at.
Real photo examples: liquid wallpaper in the interior
In order to figure out how to beat the walls with such wallpaper, pay attention to how other people implemented their ideas. See our photo gallery and get inspired.