If you are a fan of minimalism and do not intend to make a kitchenware store at home, you will certainly be interested in designing a kitchen without upper wall cabinets. Such a decision will unload the space and allow you to abandon the annoying patterns that have dominated kitchen interiors for decades. New designs, devoid of upper shelves, make the kitchen spacious, bright and airy.
Pros and cons of a kitchen without overhead cabinets
Wall cabinets have become so commonplace in kitchens that their absence is often baffling. Fans of traditional solutions are skeptical about empty kitchen walls. In fact, there are many benefits to getting rid of wall cabinets.
- the kitchen becomes more spacious, the atmosphere becomes more pleasant and relaxed;
- simplifies and speeds up cleaning;
- you don’t have to reach for utensils, stand on chairs and stools to get the right thing from the wall cabinets;
- headsets are cheaper, you can buy more necessary things in the household with the saved money;
- the neoclassical style kitchen becomes lighter and more comfortable, light spreads more evenly over it;
- you can create modern interiors – in the style of loft, minimalism, Provence and others.
- without hanging cabinets with shelves, there are fewer places to store utensils and dishes;
- a wall free from wall cabinets must be decorated in the appropriate style;
- to get cups, plates and other items needed in the kitchen from the lower drawers, you have to bend down;
- you have to look for a way to disguise to divert the exhaust pipe.
On a note!
If the kitchen is rarely used for cooking, you can abandon the hood in favor of ventilation. Otherwise, you will have to make a withdrawal visible to the eye, or come up with a different technical solution.
How to organize the space in the kitchen
Due to the lack of upper cabinets, the functional space of the kitchen is significantly reduced, especially if you need to place a large amount of dishes, utensils, appliances and decorative elements. Everything becomes more complicated if the kitchen is small. You have to show maximum imagination and design ingenuity in order to skillfully organize the space.
Tips for organizing space in a kitchen without upper cabinets:
- Need a detailed project and furniture made to order. We’ll have to change the storage system. The kitchen set should have devices to optimize the interior space.
- If the kitchen is very small, then rarely used items can be moved to the balcony or pantry.
- In large kitchens, you can solve the problem in a different way – put outdoor furniture.
- Regardless of the size of the kitchen space, it is necessary to optimize the space with the help of roof rails, several shelves.
When organizing the kitchen space, it is important to pay maximum attention to the walls. Their condition should be perfect, and the surface should be smooth, without chips and damage.
The rejection of the upper tier of cabinets is both an expansion of the boundaries of the kitchen space and a desire to break with boring patterns.
What styles are suitable for a kitchen without an upper tier:
- Loft. The idea fits this style in the best way. It focuses on free space and industrial design.
- Minimalism. It has the correct geometry and the study of each element in the room. Sets in one tier are ideal for minimalist, ascetic interiors, made in a modern way. The main color in such kitchens is white. It is used alone or in combination with gray. Contrasts in minimalism are created by black blotches.
- Modern. Compared to minimalism, modern interiors have many more elements – there are shelves, decor and original textiles. The linear organization of space and the brilliance of chrome parts are welcome here.
- Country. In this style, the interweaving of so-called folk motifs is clearly visible. The lack of upstairs cabinets does nothing to create a rustic vibe in an urban kitchen. Wooden elements help to achieve what you want – furniture, countertops, several shelves on the freed walls.
- Provence. Here, various provincial accents in the French style will help to recreate a soulful homely atmosphere. And to enhance it, trim the backsplash with ceramic tiles in a patchwork mosaic style.
On a note!
In kitchens designed in country or Provence style, the walls can be finished with moisture-resistant clapboard.
Choice of layout
We have to show maximum rationalism to compensate for the lack of upper shelves. Kitchen layout options without wall cabinets with descriptions and real photos:
- Direct kitchen. It is also called linear or classical. All cabinets are lined up against one wall. A sink is placed near the work surface, a hob and a refrigerator are located nearby.
- Corner kitchen. Curbstones have the letter “G”. Also, an angle along two adjacent walls can be formed by installing floor cabinets. This option allows you to create a classic kitchen triangle – “sink-stove-refrigerator”. It is versatile and suitable for rooms of any size.
- U-shaped solution. The lower cabinets are placed along three walls. This allows you to create the most comfortable working area. This solution provides maximum space for arranging utensils and dishes. The P-option is only suitable for medium-sized and large rooms – in small kitchens it will look out of place.
- With an island. This trendy solution today provides for the placement of the main work surface in the center of the kitchen. The “island” can accommodate a hob, oven, sink, dishwasher – there are many options. Suitable only for rooms from 20 sq. m.
The most popular layout option is currently the kitchen island. It looks great in spacious kitchens, providing comfort and functionality to all elements of the kitchen. It is important that the island solution is suitable for almost all interior styles.
How to decorate walls without wall cabinets
So that the walls freed from the upper cabinets do not seem empty and uncomfortable, it is necessary to arrange them correctly.
- Combination with the texture of the lower tier. This is one of the simplest and most popular design techniques. If, for example, the cabinets are finished in wood, then the wall is finished in the same way. You can use any moisture resistant materials, for example, porcelain tiles.
- Finishes to match the kitchen floor. If it is finished under a stone, then marble patterns will be appropriate on the walls.
- Paint in a color that is not in the interior design. So, for example, a gray wall will look harmonious in a white kitchen. In all minimalist interiors, it is recommended to use neutral tones. For finishing, water-based paints are used, which are not afraid of moisture and grease.
- MDF panels. Fiberboard looks appropriate in kitchens with induction cookers. But they should be placed away from the sink so that splashes do not fall.
- Concrete finish. You can use porcelain stoneware that imitates this material. This option is ideal for loft style.
To fully reveal the aesthetic potential of the kitchen, it is recommended to use auxiliary elements, for example, pots with indoor plants.
Organization of lighting
Typically, lighting in the kitchen is performed by a central lamp. That is why problems often arise in rooms where you have to cook with your back turned to the light. In the absence of wall cabinets, it becomes possible to organize high-quality and comprehensive lighting by installing wall lamps.
- classic lighting fixtures – they are fixed on the walls freed from the cabinets;
- LED strips – they are fixed on the wall or on the bottom of the shelves, if any;
- installation of movable structures, if you need maneuverable lighting – you can direct the light to the sink, stove or work surface;
- traditional ceiling chandeliers – suspended or built into a stretch ceiling.
In a kitchen without upper cabinets, both pendant lights and spotlights located along the walls will look beautiful.
How to distribute kitchen appliances
So that the rejection of the upper part of the kitchen set does not lead to a shortage of storage space, furniture elements are provided in the kitchen that could accommodate household appliances and large kitchen utensils.
Storage spaces can be organized:
- on open shelves
- in high cases;
- in built-in modular cabinets.
Here they put dishes, seasonings, bottles, jars and containers for bulk products. It is most convenient to build household appliances in cabinets, pencil cases, consisting of several sections. This option allows you to unload the shelves, making the interior more harmonious and rational.
Shelves for household appliances – bread makers, deep fryers, multicookers, coffee grinders, etc., should be quite massive and very reliable. In a large buffet, you can place not only all utensils, but also large appliances, such as a microwave oven.
On a note!
The stove should be 1.2-2 m from the sink, and the refrigerator – 1.2-2.5 m.
What can replace wall cabinets
The rejection of upper cabinets leads to a decrease in the area intended for storing kitchen utensils, dishes and household appliances.
What will replace the upper kitchen cabinets:
- Open shelves and shelving. Empty walls can be filled with these primitive furniture elements, but only on the condition that there will be few of them. If you hang all the walls with shelves, the very idea of \u200b\u200bgiving up wall cabinets loses its meaning. In addition, they need to arrange beautiful jars, bowls, mugs in the same style. Or you can put pots of indoor flowers on them.
- Roof rails. These are rack structures on which kitchen accessories are hung. Thanks to them, a lot of necessary things are at hand – you don’t have to rummage through cabinets. Roof rails harmoniously look in almost all interior styles. But they, like shelves, should be few. Hang only the most necessary items, otherwise the work area will be cluttered.
- Cabinets-columns. Such structures are installed only in rooms of more than 20 square meters. m. Such cases allow you to 100% solve the problem of arranging household appliances, groceries, conservation, etc.
- Buffets and sideboards. This solution allows you to place a lot of utensils in closed furniture. Furniture of this type is in harmony with interiors in country style, Provence and retro. This decision is appropriate for a long headset, otherwise there will be disharmony between pieces of furniture.
If you are not a supporter of outdated traditions and do not tend to fill the kitchen with excess utensils, an interior without wall cabinets can be a very interesting find for you. Free walls will not only unload the space, but also create a special atmosphere filled with light and air.