Wallpaper fashion is updated annually. Manufacturers began to create collections specifically for modern design trends. It used to be that all the wallpapers were on the same rack. Today, each roll of wallpaper can be attributed to a particular design style. And you can safely ask the seller: “What wallpaper do you have for decorating a room in a classic or country style?”. The design of the living room is the face of the owner. A well-designed living room demonstrates the taste of the owner and his preferences to the guests. The fashion for the style of wallpaper does not change every year, but trends for several years to come can still be traced.
What are the wallpapers for the living room
Before you take on the repair of the living room, familiarize yourself with the types of wallpaper. They are:
- photo wallpaper;
This type of room decoration is not very expensive, but also short-lived. Paper wallpapers have a very large number of colors, they are easy to glue, but it is not recommended for decorating the hall. It’s a very budget option. There are other types of wallpaper that are not very expensive, but the quality and nobility of the finishes leave paper far behind.
Decorating the hall with vinyl wallpaper is a good choice. They are practical, beautiful and durable. There are four types of vinyl wallpaper on sale, these are:
- with silkscreen.
In order to make a choice, read the brief characteristics of each type.
Foamed vinyl flooring, most suitable for living room decoration. It has a clear relief, looks rich and presentable. Porous vinyl allows air to pass through and therefore condensation does not accumulate on the walls in the room. If necessary, it can be painted with water-based or acrylic paints. It is easy to clean dust with a damp cloth.
Tip: despite the textured surface, foamed vinyl wallpapers require surface preparation for gluing. Wallpaper is glued end-to-end.
Wallpapers made of smooth vinyl have an increased density and hardness of the surface. Resistant to abrasion, do not fade or fade in the sun. The peculiarity of this coating is that they do not let air through. They are easy to clean with synthetic detergents. They are mainly used in rooms with high humidity: baths, kitchens, hallways. There are options for dense vinyl wallpaper with a relief surface. Basically it is an imitation of brick or stone. Smooth vinyl wallpaper can be used to decorate the living room, for example, a brick or rubble stone fireplace wall.
Solid vinyl wallpaper
The structure of this coating is more reminiscent of plaster or masonry than the usual wallpaper. They are suitable for decorating the hall and are actively used by designers. When choosing this coating, please note that it can be combined with other types of wallpaper. The main thing is not to overdo it with the number of colors and shades.
Silk-screened vinyl wallpaper
In terms of quality, color scheme, number of shades, silk-screened wallpapers will give odds to all previous types. The vinyl layer may have a smooth or embossed surface. The inclusion of silk threads give the surface a spectacular appearance. They are quite strong, durable, resistant to sunlight, easy to wash and clean. A wide range of colors and shades allows you to use silk-screened wallpaper for almost any design direction in interior design. Silk-screening very well conveys flowers and leaves, geometric repeating patterns.
Flizelin appeared relatively recently, but has already managed to gain popularity. This relatively new decorative material combines the advantages of fabric and paper. After mixing fabric and cellulose fibers, they are pressed and the result is a very durable panel. It is necessary to understand that there are non-woven and non-woven wallpaper. In the second case, non-woven fabric serves as a substrate on which a decorative layer of vinyl is applied.
Acrylic surfaces differ from others in that the relief drawings resemble an artist’s brush drawing and this is their main difference. This effect is obtained by foaming the acrylic polymer.
Manufacturers realized that in a wide variety of colors and shades it is difficult for buyers to navigate and began to group wallpapers in their collections by color and design direction. For example, one manufacturer grouped its products by type:
This grouping, although approximately, gives the buyer an idea in which direction to focus his search.
Thanks to the huge number of patterns, textile wallpapers can be used in any design direction. In most collections, they are produced on a non-woven basis. This is due to the difficulty of gluing textile sheets to the wall. For the front surface, fabrics made from natural materials are used: linen, silk, cotton, wool.
- one random drop of glue on the front side is enough and the whole work will be hopelessly ruined;
- poorly cleaned and require careful care;
- cannot be washed;
- when gluing, they require a completely flat surface for the wall;
- high price.
Metallized wallpapers are made of anodized aluminium. They are used to decorate rooms in the style of Hi-tech, Industrial, Vanguard, Pop Art. Anodized aluminum foil is glued to a special paper or non-woven substrate and glued like ordinary wallpaper. The surface is processed by pressing through rollers with the application of various reliefs and patterns.
- not afraid of sunlight;
- easy to wash and clean.
In a word – aluminum, what will happen to it? The requirements for the surface for gluing are the same as for ordinary non-woven or paper wallpaper.
The liquid wallpaper
Liquid is not wallpaper at all, but synthetic plaster, which, after being applied to the wall, has some similarities with wallpaper. They are made from synthetic filler fibers: cellulose, cotton, silk, mica, sequins. Diluted with CMC glue and applied with a spatula to the wall. The surface becomes silky and smooth to the touch.
- it is impossible to make two identical patterns on the wall, the drawing becomes completely abstract;
- this synthetic plaster can be applied to almost any direction of design.
- more expensive than vinyl wallpaper, but worth it;
- it is easy to repair, it is necessary to spread a new layer of plaster on the defective place;
- does not require a perfect wall surface.
His Majesty grayness remains in trend. Gray color in interior design will be used as the main color for many years to come. It is mainly used in modern styles: Loft, Minimalism, Neoclassic, Pop Art, Kitsch and others. Almost all colors and shades are easily combined with gray.
Popular trends will be a combination of wallpaper in monochrome.
When using combinations of different trellises, it is necessary to follow the rule: for the main color of the trellis, its shade serves as an addition.
To divide the room into zones, the technique of focusing attention, playing on contrasts, will be used. To do this, one wall with a brightly contrasting pattern will stand out in the room.
A variety of textures and patterns makes it possible to realize any ideas for decorating a living room. The main thing is to follow the rules of color combinations in the interior and not to use more than three shades.
We combine wallpaper in the hall
In order to learn how to combine wallpapers with each other, you need to know what shades the owner of the apartment likes and what goal he pursues. Below is a beautiful photo selection that will visually help you understand which options are of interest to you.
- Light combined wallpaper. Make the room elegant. Complementing a bright living room with bright accessories will make it irresistible.
2. The combination of wallpaper of two different types is a bold decision for people who want a change. These can be stripes in a duet with floral ornaments, oriental patterns combined with small patterns.
3. Beige combined wallpaper – a classic for many years.
4. Different wallpapers on different walls – is this possible? Obviously yes.
5. White background is a guarantee of compatibility. Make one wall white, and then you can safely buy any shade for others.
6. The best solution is a combination with plain wallpaper, where they are the background.
Make inserts on light plain wallpaper, making your living room interesting.
Wallpaper and curtains
See modern ideas on how to harmoniously beat the union of wallpaper with curtains. At the same time, the interior of the hall will remain stylish and beautiful.
- One tone. The color transition seems to merge together.
- Curtains one or more shades darker act as a bright accent.
- Several shades of fabric, coupled with a combined finish, make the room interesting. This combination brings zest to the interior.
- Dark curtains + light wallpaper. Curtain fabric, in this case, can merge with other items, such as sofa upholstery, decorative elements, furniture.
- Bright curtains + white wallpaper. An interesting combination for large living rooms. At the same time, cute prints can be placed on the curtains.
- The same drawings. Suitable for lovers of unusual solutions.
- Curtains as a background for wallpaper with drawings. In this case, wallpaper acts as a dominant.
And what to choose for a small room?
Next, we will tell you about 5 secrets that can be applied to a small room.
- Use light colors. They expand the space, make the interior airy and light.
- Wallpaper with small images. This choice will add coziness to a small room and remind you of “home”. Simple patterns are in harmony with any interior items and look great on pastel shades.
- Apply horizontal lines. Such stripes visually lengthen the room. Can be used to play with light.
- Cover one wall with 3D wallpaper that expands the space. Make the interior of the room unique.
- Dark or bright wallpaper on one wall will make the interior of a small room interesting. But do not use them as a basis. Only as an accent, in combination with white shades.
Photo design in real apartments
Below are examples of how people in ordinary apartments realize their ideas.