The most common and simple option for wall decoration is wallpaper. Today, their number and variety often confuse the consumer when choosing. We will tell you what wallpaper for painting is, what are their strengths and weaknesses, and how to choose exactly those that will be ideal for your interior.
Wallpapers for painting mostly have texture and original white color. Rarely, manufacturers already tint them with any shade. But, as a rule, this is a dim option and can be easily repainted. It is the possibility of repeated repainting that makes such wallpapers popular. With them, it is easy to make cosmetic repairs and transform the interior at any time. As a result, the room will be updated in a short time and for little money.
Distinctive characteristics of wallpaper for painting are:
- moisture resistance due to processing with special means;
- thickness and density, which allows them to be used as sound and thermal insulation;
- white color or light one-color toning;
- embossed pattern of the upper layer;
- environmental friendliness.
What wallpapers are suitable for painting?
Wallpaper for painting is produced in several types, which differ in the material of manufacture.
The most common type, they are distinguished by high density and elasticity. Using them in new buildings will not allow rupture, with small cracks in the wall. Great for use on any surface, hold well and do not deform. They are moisture resistant and breathable, which prevents the appearance of mold.
They are divided into two types:
- completely non-woven – the decorative layer and the base of the wallpaper are made of the same material.
- non-woven vinyl wallpaper.
Can be made with embossed coating or smooth. The second option is often used for ceilings, creating a smooth white finish that can be painted. They are also ideal for walls, given that they can be repainted up to 15 times.
Popular pattern texture:
Vinyl wallpaper on a non-woven base with a pronounced relief. Foam vinyl flooring is less durable.
The main disadvantages of vinyl are:
If your house has animals or small children, pay attention to the so-called anti-vandal wallpaper:
- Chris Boomprom.
Their top layer is resistant to abrasion and can be easily cleaned with detergents.
The simplest and most affordable option. The structure is much denser than ordinary paper wallpapers, but they are just as fragile and are afraid of moisture. The embossed pattern is created either by embossing the top layer, or by using wood shavings or sawdust between layers.
Such a finishing material is the most environmentally friendly of paintable wallpapers, but it can only be repainted 6-7 times.
By the number of layers, single-layer (simplex), two-layer (duplex) and coarse-fiber paper wallpapers are distinguished.
Durable and resistant to wear, they consist of a fabric or paper base with a fiberglass top layer. Not only can these wallpapers be repainted up to 30 times, but they can also be cleaned of dirt, which is why they have become a popular option for offices and public spaces.
Pros and cons of wallpaper for painting
To sum up and note the best aspects of wallpaper for painting:
- high quality workmanship;
- the possibility of using when pasting walls and ceilings;
- the possibility of repeated repainting without loss of appearance;
- the surface before pasting is not required to be subjected to special preparation;
- when pasting, the glue is applied directly to the surface of the wall or ceiling;
- allow you to hide surface defects;
- the wall takes on a textured look.
They are not without drawbacks:
- the paper base of the wallpaper is fragile, requires care when sticking and is not suitable for wet rooms;
- a complex relief pattern must be carefully painted over so that there are no empty spaces left;
- vinyl wallpaper with a foam layer is short-lived, the layer can be easily damaged;
- when applying glass fiber, care must be taken.
It is recommended to choose the type of wallpaper depending on the room that you plan to paste over with them. For example, paper can be used for living rooms, except for those with high humidity. For rooms that are prone to pollution, it is better to buy non-woven wallpaper that can be easily washed. The same option must be used in offices.
If you want to paste over the walls in the bathroom, then pay attention to moisture-resistant and anti-fungal glass wallpaper.
Choose anti-vandal wallpaper for painting if there are animals or children in the apartment. Laminated coating will protect the walls from damage.
How to glue wallpaper and apply paint on them?
Special alignment of the walls for such wallpaper is not required. Only in the case when there are large irregularities, they need to be corrected.
The step-by-step gluing process consists of the following points:
Cunning! If wallpaper glue is mixed with PVA in a ratio of 1: 0.5, then such a mixture will save you from annual wallpapering.
Avoid drafts during the entire working and drying time. Close windows.
After completely pasting the room, the wallpaper must be allowed to dry completely. This process takes an average of 12-48 hours and depends on several factors: the base and thickness of the wallpaper, the adhesive used, and the level of humidity in the room. Then it remains to pick up the paint and transform the interior.
Each type of wallpaper requires a certain paint:
- on non-woven base should be painted with water-based or acrylic paint;
- on a paper basis – water-based;
- cullet – latex or acrylic.
Acrylic paint is distinguished by its moisture-resistant properties, but is limited only to matte shades. But it is matte options that are most popular for interior decoration. Additionally, in living rooms, attention should be paid to the environmental friendliness of the coating, the absence of odors and quick drying.
Read this about which paint is best for painting wallpaper.
The coloring process consists of the following steps:
Wallpaper for painting in the interior of the rooms
When choosing wallpaper for painting, you should take into account the style of the room in which they will be located. See photos in rooms of different design.
- For a room in a classic style, wallpaper with a thick deep-relief coating is suitable. Coloring can be matte or glossy, plain or combined. Ornaments and reliefs on the walls will decorate the room.
- Modern style prefers non-woven or glass wallpaper. Pastel colors, elegant drawings – this is the choice for modern rooms.
- The simplicity of Provence is emphasized by wallpaper with a fine texture. Warm shades will complement the surrounding image.
- The popular Scandinavian style features sleek white walls. Cover non-woven wallpaper without relief with white paint or lightly tint it with a gray, milky or pearl tint.
- Hi-tech style. Wallpaper without deep relief is selected. Add glossy effects and metallic shades.
For each room, you can easily find the right type of wallpaper for painting:
- Living room. It is a place where it is comfortable to gather with the family and receive guests, but it is not necessary to reign only in pastel and strict images. Add texture and color to the walls with large relief wallpapers;
- Kitchen. He likes practical coatings that do not allow mold to form, so choose vinyl or glass wallpaper;
- The corridor. In it, wall coverings can be combined. Part of the wall, which often suffers from mechanical damage and pollution, can be decorated with artificial stone, and the rest of the surface with wallpaper for painting, which can be easily cleaned;
- The bathroom is a room with high humidity, so the walls in it are rarely decorated with wallpaper. However, they go well with tiles and give the room a touch of elegance;
- Bedroom. Here it is possible to choose any textures and colors you like, but it is preferable to use calm shades;
- Children’s. Wallpaper in the children’s room requires special care, because many children love to decorate it with drawings of their own work. There should be a reasonable combination of practicality and environmental friendliness. Give preference to wallpaper and paint that are easy to maintain;
- Balcony and loggia. Often they become part of or an extension of the living space. Paste them with glass fiber, which is not afraid of temperature fluctuations.
Video: How to paint wallpaper for painting?
In this video, the specialist talks about the types of wallpaper for painting and the features of their painting.