An interesting alternative to ceramic tiles is painting bathroom walls. Bathroom wall paint must meet certain requirements. Today we will tell you what types of paints and varnishes are used, and how not to make a mistake with their choice.
Types of wall paints
Due to the high humidity in the bathroom, not all paints are suitable for decorating walls in the room. In addition, it should be borne in mind that condensation constantly accumulates on the walls and soap stains remain, which must be periodically cleaned with a damp cloth.
Experts advise to opt for the following types of paints:
- Forming a moisture-proof film on a vertical surface, latex paint. It belongs to one of the types of water emulsion. Easy to apply and has a long service life. Requires careful preparation of walls for painting. Differs in high cost.
- Water-based, acrylic or silicone paint. Forms a moisture resistant coating. Sold in the middle price range.
- Waterproof alkyd enamel is made on the basis of solvents. Because of this, it has a pungent odor. The paint adheres well to the surface. Acceptable cost of goods is its advantage.
- Popular oil paint has a persistent odor. The service life is short: a couple of years after painting, peeling and swelling are formed on the walls.
- Chlorinated rubber paint is waterproof and airtight. Its main application: painting walls in pools. It is operated at air temperature not higher than +27ºС. Recommended for use in areas where a large amount of water splashes will fall. After drying, the material becomes like a rubber coating. The price of paint is high.
- Adhesive paints are not sold ready-made. The solution must be diluted independently, before use. To do this, chalk, glue base and coloring pigment are kneaded in different containers. It is important to keep the proportions correctly, only an experienced specialist can handle this. If the solution was diluted incorrectly, then the paint will eventually begin to crumble and crumble.
When choosing paint for walls in the bathroom, it is advised to pay attention to the number of passes indicated on the label with a special brush. This figure must be at least 3000 passes. The larger it is, the better the paint.
Especially popular are enamel coloring compositions that are suitable for painting walls in the bathroom. They are based on lacquer. There are different types:
- nitro enamel;
The most commonly used of them are alkyd paints. The binder in them is a special type of alkyd resins. These paints dry quickly. The painted coating does not let steam through at all.
What is the best bathroom paint?
In order not to make a mistake with the choice, you should pay attention to the recommendations of experts:
- When creating a harmonious bathroom interior, it is necessary to choose the right basic tone in which the room will be painted. When painting walls, one should not be limited to the universal white color. The most suitable shades for walls are warm, soft tones that have a calming effect on a person. These include: beige, blue, pale green, peach, lilac.
- High humidity in the bathroom and the use of low-quality paint materials will encourage mold and bacteria to grow on the walls. The paint must have good moisture resistance. The painted surface must be resistant to constant friction that occurs during cleaning of the premises.
- It is important to use environmentally friendly materials for painting walls. During the adoption of water procedures, a large amount of steam is generated. Elevated air temperatures can contribute to the release of harmful substances from non-environmentally friendly paints and varnishes.
- Experts advise painting the area near the sink and bathroom in several layers. This will help extend the life of the painted surface.
Each type of paint has its own advantages and disadvantages. The choice will depend on the individual preferences of the buyer.
According to experts, the best paint for walls is latex. An elastic layer is formed on the painted surface, with the help of which existing wall defects are masked. The drying time of the paint is no more than 2 hours.
Top 8 manufacturers
Different manufacturers offer a wide range of paints and varnishes for walls in bathrooms. The most famous of them:
- The Finnish company “Finncolor” has proven itself in the market for 20 years of existence. A good selection and time-tested product quality make this manufacturer one of the best in the world. The company is constantly improving the process of manufacturing goods. Recently, a new paint Oasis has appeared on the market, which is recommended for painting walls in bathrooms. A special coating protects surfaces from the formation of mold and the accumulation of bacteria in places of high humidity. In order to ensure a lasting result, it is recommended to apply paint in several layers with breaks of 2-3 hours.
- Tikkurila is considered to be the most popular company among consumers in the Russian market. The manufacturer is working to improve the quality of the product. A large selection and a good price range allow you to attract customers with different solvency. A specially designed multi-stage system is used for surface treatment. The wall is first primed, and then a moisture-resistant layer of paint is applied.
- The German brand Alpina produces high-quality paint for bathroom walls. The treated surface has a pleasant velvety-matt base, which distinguishes the manufacturer from competitors. The only drawback of the material is its long drying time.
- The American manufacturer Sherwin Williams has the best recommendations on the market, thanks to the use of high-tech raw materials in the production of paint. The product is eco-friendly and fade resistant.
- The French company Vincent offers a wide range of textures, shades and finishes. A paint has recently been released that provides a velvety finish to surfaces.
- The brand from Slovenia “Belinka” has proven itself with an acceptable price and good quality. The company produces an unusual paint for bathroom walls, which changes its color after applying special colors. Initially, a pleasant snow-white shade is obtained. It can be turned at will into your favorite pastel tone.
- The Turkish manufacturer “Marshall” offers quality products at a low price. Latex wall paints are resistant to dirt and tolerate mechanical stress well. The paint dries quickly, leaving no stains or smudges.
- The Russian brand “Tex” creates products that can compete with European counterparts. The company produces white moisture-resistant paint, the color of which can be diluted with color and get shades for every taste.
In order to remain competitive in the market, manufacturers are constantly working to improve product quality. Choosing the products of any of the listed companies, the consumer can be sure of a good result.
Before you start painting the walls in the bathroom, you need to prime them with a special solution. Manufacturers offer a wide range of primer materials. It is better to choose a primer with a deep penetration antifungal composition. Professionals recommend Ceresit CT 17.
After the primer dries, paint is applied to the surface, starting from the doorway or window. Do this with the help of a roller with movements from top to bottom. Excess material is carefully removed from the surface. This will avoid the appearance of ugly smudges.
What original techniques do decorators use:
- Striped pattern, alternating colors in a checkerboard pattern.
- Unusual floral ornament.
- Use of special stencils.
- Using paints of different colors on perpendicular walls.
- Drawing with stamping. On the dried first coat of paint, a second coat is applied using a sponge that is applied to the wall.
- Rubbing not dried material through the newspaper.
- Using abstract images with crumpled textiles or a piece of paper.
- The use of rollers with various patterns.
To achieve unusual effects, you can use decorative materials that allow you to create an imitation of velor, delicate velvet and stylish stone on the surface.
Decorating the walls in the bathroom with paint is a creative and interesting process. The choice of quality materials will allow you to enjoy the results of labor for a long time.
Photo collection in the interior
More ideas for your home.